MINUTES OF THE MONTHLY BOARD OF DIRECTORS MEETING OF THE JOHNSON CITY LIONS CLUB HELD AT THE JOHNSON CITY COUNTRY CLUB ON Sep 8th, 2011
A Regular Board Meeting was called to order at 12:29 p.m. on this date by King Lion Dr. Steve Campbel
lThe Board Members who have a “P” after their names were in attendance:
PRESIDENT DR. STEVE CAMPBELL-P
IMMEDIATE PAST PRESIDENT – KEN GOUGH-P
1ST VICE PRESIDENT JOHN MERRISS-P
2ND VICE PRESIDENT PAUL EASLIC-P
SECRETARY JOHN MERRISS-P
PROJECTS TREASURER ED GIBBONS-P
ADMINISTRATIVE TREASURER DEBBIE SHIPLEY-P
TAIL TWISTER STERLING WINN-P
LION TAMER CB WILLIS-P
MEMBERSHIP CHAIR JOHN MERRISS-P
(2nd year of Two Year term) Director ANN VANDREUMEL-P
(2nd year of Two Year) SPECIAL TWO YEAR DIRECTOR JOHN VANDREUMEL-P
SPECIAL TWO YEAR DIRECTOR DR. GEORGE WINTON-P
ONE YEAR DIRECTOR LION DEBBIE MERRITT
Also in attendance were Lions Lynda Gochenouer, Jerry Lonon, Dr. Sam Messimer and PDG Dennis Powell
Minutes of Business Meeting:
1. The minutes from the last Board meeting held August 11, 2011, were read and approved.
2. Administrative Treasurer, Lion Debbie Shipley: Aug. income $557.41, Expenses $1047.06, loss $489.65 and a $1955.85 checkbook balance
3. Projects Treasurer; Lion Eddie Gibbons: 8/11/11 through 9/8/11, income of 1509.09, expenses $1930.00 for a 420.01 loss and total Liabilities and Equity of $20,541.74.
Lion Ken Gough moved to accept both treasurers’ reports as submitted. The motion was seconded by Lion CB Willis and it was approved unanimously.
4. As required in Article VI in the Club’s constitution the secretary reported that the following active Lions have missed the past four consecutive meetings or more without a makeup. Janice McClanahan James Lonon
5. As required by Article VI in the Club’s constitution Membership Director Lion Steve Campbell reported that three Lions who are in arrears in obligations owing to the Club as of the end of the month of July: None.
6. Committee Reports: Public Relations: No report
Website: The web site is www.johnsoncity.tnlions.org but to get to it you’ll need to type http://johnsoncity.tnlions.org/about/
Eyeglasses recycling: Lion Gough reported he has two Lions going with him on the fall trip to Roanoke on October 22th but he needs many more. So far he has more than 2400 pairs and he suspects many more will be added. Please collect any boxes or glasses for the trip and bring them in to next week’s meeting. Lion Ken says he has lined up TV appearances to increase donations and support; he promises a good time for any Lion who makes the trip.
LVBI: No report.
Membership and Retention: See old business.
Programs: Lion CB Willis announced that he has lined up three terrific programs. First, Alan Bridwell, creator of www.johnsonsdepot.com will be our speaker for the 15th of this month (next week). Alan knows a great deal about the history of our fair city including why it was known as “Little Chicago” among many other fascinating details. Dick Tuttle, the man responsible for all the technical advances at the new LVBI call center here in town will be with us October 6th and on the 24th our new DG will visit; that will also be the first Thursday meeting after the TD and the day we welcome prospective new members.
Sight Conservation: No report
Budget and Finance: No report
Turtle Derby: Lion Dr. Winton said 70 turtles are in racing form and 4 are on the 15 day disabled list but or expected to be ready when the bell rings, or the trumpet blows, or the starting gun is fired, or when Lion Raines bellows, “Lions connect your turtles!” So far we have four team captains, PDG Dennis Powell, Lions Merritt, Shipley and Merriss but we can use one more. Please let it be known if you can serve; your main duty will be getting a sales report from everyone on your team on Wednesday night and emailing the numbers so we’ll know how we’re doing and what needs to be done to meet our honorable goal of 600 sponsorships sold and paid for. Lion CB brought in posters and tickets; see him if you need either or both.
Zone Meeting: No report.
Lions Signs: Lion Winn announced that the wind had played havoc with some of the signs at Lions Park and he will get things right soon.
New Member Training: No report.
Health and Welfare: No report.
Nuts and Bolts Committee: No report.
Conventions: No report
Vision Screening: Lion CB Wills announced that there will be a Site Screening on Sep. 14th (next Wednesday) at Wesley Methodist Church at 9:30 AM. If you can be there and want to learn how to use the new cameras please call CB and let him know you can help.
Little League: No report
Pecans: The ubiquitous Lion CB said the prices of the pecans have not changed and are, by definition, on sales. Since we ran out of nuts last year and several local families suffered the appalling consequence of a nut-less T. Day dinner (you can imagine how embarrassed they were) we must make every effort to not let that happen again so Lion Willis will order many more cases (four) this year. He also announced that he has hired a local attorney to act as auditor and collector for this fund raising event.
Disaster Relief: No report
LCIF: No report.
- Old Business: Earlier in the meeting King Lion announced that he and Lion Shipley have developed a letter to send out to Local business leaders offering them a free membership for themselves or members of their companies. After much discussion Lion Ken Gough moved that king Lion send out letters as soon as possible with an open invitation during the regular second meeting in October for anyone interested in joining the club. The motion was seconded by Lion Winn and unanimously approved. Lion Shipley suggested that getting friends to help at the Turtle derby is a great way to introduce prospective members to what Lions do. All in all this is a great time to do some elevated recruiting.
- New Business: No report.
King Lion Campbell adjourned the meeting at 12:59 PM.
NEXT REGULAR MEETING: Next Thursday, September 15 , 2011.
John J. Merriss
John J. Merriss