MINUTES OF THE MONTHLY BOARD OF DIRECTORS MEETING OF THE JOHNSON CITY LIONS CLUB HELD AT THE JOHNSON CITY COUNTRY CLUB ON December 8th, 2011
A Regular Board Meeting was called to order at 12:29:35 PM on this date by King Lion Dr. Steve Campbell
The Board Members who have a “P” after their names were in attendance:
PRESIDENT DR. STEVE CAMPBELL-P
MMEDIATE PAST PRESIDENT – KEN GOUGH-P
1ST VICE PRESIDENT JOHN MERRISS-P
2ND VICE PRESIDENT PAUL EASLIC-P
SECRETARY JOHN MERRISS-P
PROJECTS TREASURER ED GIBBONS-P
ADMINISTRATIVE TREASURER DEBBIE SHIPLEY-P
TAIL TWISTER STERLING WINN-P
LION TAMER CB WILLIS-P
MEMBERSHIP CHAIR JOHN MERRISS-P
(2nd year of Two Year term) Director ANN VANDREUMEL-P
(2nd year of Two Year) SPECIAL TWO YEAR DIRECTOR JOHN VANDREUMEL-P
SPECIAL TWO YEAR DIRECTOR DR. GEORGE WINTON-P
ONE YEAR DIRECTOR LION DEBBIE MERRITT-P
Also in attendance were PDG Dennis Powel and Lions Jerry Lonon and Don Raines
Minutes of Business Meeting:
1. The minutes from the last Board meeting held November 10th were read and approved.
2. Lion Debbie Shipley’s Administrative Treasurer’s report: Nov. income $460.10, Expenses $504.10, and a $1910.55 checkbook balance and total Liabilities and Equity of $16,676.89.
3. Lion Ken Gough moved to accept both treasury reports as submitted. The motion was seconded by PDG Lion Don Raines and approved unanimously.
4. As required in Article VI of the Club’s constitution, the secretary reported that the following active Lions have missed the past four consecutive meetings or more without a makeup.
Janice McClanahan James Lonon Mark Fox
5. As required by Article VI of the Club’s constitution, Membership Director Lion Steve Campbell reported no Lions are in arrears on obligations owed to the Club as of the end of the month of November.
6. Committee Reports:
Public Relations: No report
Website: The web site is www.johnsoncity.tnlions.org but to get to it you’ll need to typehttp://johnsoncity.tnlions.org/news/. Lion Ken Gough reported that every Club activity now has a page and that all important announcements and meeting notes will be posted on the Club site.
Eyeglasses recycling: No report.
Membership and Retention: No report.
Programs: No report.
Sight Conservation: No report.
Budget and Finance: No report.
Turtle Derby: No report.
Zone Meeting: No report.
Lions Signs: No report.
Membership: In spite of the fact that he’s a friend of the Secretary, Lion Eddie Gibbons moved to accept Jim Paveglio’s application. The motion was seconded by Lion Ken Gough and passed unanimously. BTW, Jim’s name is easy to pronounce if you just remember that the “g” is silent.
New Member Training: No report.
Health and Welfare: No report.
Nuts and Bolts: No report.
Conventions and Training:
- The Tennessee Lions Learning retreat will be held January 13-15, 2012. Any Lion wishing to attend this event in Manchester, TN, call the Secretary right away. Applications must be mailed no later than Monday 12/12/11 so don’t dilly, dally or dilly-dally.
- The District 12N Convention will be held at the Crown Plaza Hotel in downtown Knoxville, February 17-18, 2012. Those could easily be the coldest days of the year but of course the theme will be Hawaiian. You just might want to bring some long-johns to wear under those floral shirts and hula skirts; red for the boys and plaid for the girls.
Kid’s Sight Vision Screenings: Lions CB Wills and PDG Dennis Powell have been working diligently conducting site screenings and training Lions to use the new camera. Forty four kids, ages four to six, have been checked already with two potential problems uncovered. Another screening will be conducted Wednesday 12-15-2011 at the ETSU Child Study Center on Greenwood Dr. It was decided to do whatever we need to do to raise $5,000.00 to purchase our own camera to conduct future tests. That way, once everybody has been trained to do the screenings and we’ve covered the kids in Washington county we can train the other clubs in our zone to serve their communities. If they can’t or do not choose to buy a camera we can loan them ours so those kids don’t miss out. Everyone agreed this is just about the best thing we can do for the children in our community. Lions Debbie Merritt and Debbie Shipley agreed to meet with Lion Dr. Janet Brown to see if they can find and talk to some eye clinics and/or eye health service agencies and professiionals that might partner with us to grow this totally awesome program.
Little League: No report.
Pecans: Lion CB Willis said everybody’s doing a great job and said will reach our goal. He asked that you give or send him a check made out to the Johnson City Lion’s Club for the pecans you have ($256.00/case) and not pay for them as you sell them. Sell the pecans for $8.00 per 12 ounce bag or any price you want as long as you pay $8.00 per bag or $256.00 per case.
LCIF: No report.
7. Old Business:
- Lion Don Raines reported a large turnout of 250 to 300 people for the open house at the LVBI call center last week. Congressman Roe, some state senators, Lion Don and many other dignitaries were in attendance.
- Lion Dr. Winton reminded everyone about the bell wringing schedule for next week; we’ll be wringing those bells from 4PM to 8PM on Wednesday the 14th and from 1PM to 8PM on Thursday the 15th come sleet or shinola.
8. New Business: Because the Country Club will be closed for the first two weeks in January Lion Ken Gough made a motion to cancel the first regular club meeting and the January Board meeting, and only have one regular meeting in January on the third Thursday. The motion was seconded by Lion Paul Easlic and passed unanimously.
King Lion Campbell mercifully adjourned the meeting at 12:56:36 PM.
NEXT REGULAR MEETING: Thursday, December 15th , 2011 (our last of the year and it’s going to be a lu-lu; don’t you even think about missing it!!!!).
John J. Merriss